Monday, May 16, 2011

The Frogmen - "Underwater" - Candix, 1961


I happened upon this cool little instro while on a dig a few weeks ago and thought I'd share.
Not too much info out there on The Frogmen, but I did find this page from the April 17, 1961 issue of Billboard magazine touting the song as a breakout record in Seattle and LA.
Candix was a label based out of LA.  Founded in 1960, the only decent size hit on the label was The Beach Boys first single "Surfin'". From Wikipedia: "Candix staffers Joe Saraceno and Russ Regan are attributed with renaming The Pendletones as The Beach Boys, in an attempt to make them more marketable." Certainly today's record was another tune in the surf vein. Unfortunately, the label was just a flash in the pan, bankrupt by 1962.
As I was not able to find a picture of the Frogmen, I've selected this artist's rendering of them recording thier big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment