Saturday, March 6, 2010

I decided to try to do a series of posts here about some of my favorite 45s. A few things:
  • These are all 45s I own and are near and dear to me
  • The purpose of this is to educate you on good older music
  • I will NOT post full songs - don't ask. Please find some way to buy if you can.
  • Hope ya enjoy and are exposed to a new bit or two
That out of the way, let's proceed. For my first 45 I selected: The Balloon Farm - "A Question Of Temperature" - Laurie Records, 1967 In my book this is a garage CLASSIC. Right now this one is basically a constant in my sets. Balloon Farm was from New Jersey, but apparently they didn't have a ton of NJ pride as they named themselves after a NYC club. This was the only hit Balloon Farm ever produced, topping out at #37 on the Billboard Top 100. After that, the band fell back into obscurity. Mike Appel of The Balloon Farm went on to become an early manager for Bruce Springsteen. Laurie Records, named after the founder's daughter, lives on in NYC and is currently owned by EMI-Capitol Special Markets. If you want to learn more about Garage, you MUST buy this: Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968 I own the original vinyl issue from the early 70's, but the new versions are expanded. This is the Garage Rock BIBLE. Great, great music! And here's the clip!

No comments:

Post a Comment